Day 22: 39,063 Words and Lab-Themed Cover Bands Explained
Nothing much of interest today... but I am ready for the home stretch and some outrageousness that is sure to ensue once all my characters end up in the same place at the same time. James, Josh, and Lizzy have entered into the healing circle and are discussing the ways in which they dehumanized Lizzy- which is causing all of the celebrities to think about the role they have played in dehumanizing co-stars.
Meanwhile, at Jackie's Place, we are preparing for the big finale. Jackie lets Dylann know about the Every Dog Has Its Day Festival: Battle of the Labs, 2021, which is set to take place that day. Dylann finally asks the question that has been on everyone's mind all EsNoWriMo season:
“Why the
lab-themed bands?” she asked, prepared for a brush off, or a curt, nonsensical
response- she had observed both many times. She received neither. A gentle look
crossed Jackie’s face, and he began to speak.
“I had a
lab once. He had been left here in the bar. People leave all sorts of things
behind, you’d be surprised,” he said, looking at her briefly before continuing.
Having spent a great deal of time in Jackie’s Place, there was little that
would surprise Dylann, but she had to admit that Jackie’s tender response was
the first thing that really surprised her. “I’ve never known such a happy
creature. He just accepted everything exactly as it was, and every single day
was the best damn day of that dog’s life. He was just happy to be alive. Happy
to have a friend. It was the damndest thing,” Jackie stopped speaking for a
moment, overcome with the emotion his memories brought up. “I book lab-themed
bands, because I want the people of Jackie’s Place to have a taste of that kind
of happiness. When I hear the lab-themed lyrics, I am reminded that today could
be the best day of my life, if I let it. I want the people who come here to
leave with just a little bit of that lab magic. And that,” he said, with
finality, “is why I only book lab-themed cover bands at Jackie’s Place, always
have, always will.”
“That
makes sense to me,” she said gently, and reached out to embrace the grumpy
proprietor, whose heart was bigger than any of the clientele were ever likely
to know. He returned the embrace and wiped the tears from the corners of his
eyes. “Now enough talk, let’s get to work,” he said gruffly. “We have a lot of
preparation to do. Today is going to be a big day.”

Jackie Bauer of Jackie’s Place has done it again. Revealed the heart of gold beneath his gruff exterior. Brilliant, Jill!
ReplyDeleteJackie! So full of surprises! What a lovely explanation. Dylann's ability to bring out Jackie's softer side is as remarkable as it is welcome. It's been so nice getting to know this version of him.
ReplyDeleteThis is the best!!!! I have no idea why someone would leave a dog at Jackie's Place, but I'm so glad they did! Tender Jackie moments are always so special.
ReplyDeleteThis was so wonderful. You really captured that lab magic - was Nigel sitting right in front of you as you wrote? It could have been describing him. This lab-themed cover band back story makes a lot of sense when I thought that would not be possible.
ReplyDelete