Day 14: 25,528 Words, Becoming Fantôme, and Operation Hamster Wheel
I sailed through the writing today, largely because the teachers have to come up with an incredibly complex plan to counteract the administration's tyranny and it required a lot of explanation. I also had some absurd side journeys. I know you will appreciate an outfit description paired smartly with an update on the rewrites for Barnaby's production of Phantom of the Opera:
Gordon was dressed from head-to-toe in white- a sophisticated, expensive look. Anyone with eyes could see that he had put a cool-girl twist on the comfy-chic pants trend that had dominated the fashion world since 2020, when everyone collectively decided that pants with buttons and zippers were for saps. Give me comfort or give me death was the mantra of aficionados of the comfy-chic trend. Gordon had selected a pair of silky white pants with a cool split hem and stretchy waistband (a must to perfect the comfy-chic look), a matching long sleeve top, mesh ballet flats, and a gorgeous silky white ankle length cape that was expertly tailored to move almost as a separate entity from the wearer.
Windigo emerged from the back room and approached Gordon. While everyone else looked agog at the spectacle that was Gordon, Windigo’s keen eyes were searching for flaws. Finding none, they declared: “It’s perfect for the third act.” The teachers chastised themselves silently for not immediately recognizing the outfit as one of Windigo’s creations (except for Berto, who of course had recognized that immediately). While Windigo greeted the teachers from Barnaby who they had not seen since their firing, Gordon explained to James Van Der Beek, who looked confused.
“Windigo, Roberto, and I have been engaged in significant re-writing of the play ‘Phantom of the Opera,’” Gordon said, using scare quotes around the title. “In our latest rewrite, we have changed the title to Becoming Fantôme: Breaking Through the Paradox of Being Un-Alive and the Internal Panopticon.” Gordon finished, as though that explained everything.
James still looked confused. Perhaps because he was thinking about the 2004 film adaptation of the novel, starring Gerard Butler (best known for being thirsty as fuck, and not in a good way) and Emmy Rossum. “Isn’t that about a guy being shunned by the world and then feeling entitled to stalk and kidnap a young woman?” he asked, not drawing the immediate connection between that and anything that Gordon was wearing or had said.
“Yes, exactly,” Gordon replied. “But in late stage capitalism, have we not all been ‘shunned’ by the world and internalized the panopticon? Endlessly surveilling and controlling ourselves? Have we not stalked and kidnapped ourselves? We think we are hiding behind our masks, but in fact, we have become our masks. In this exploration of the classic themes of alienation and longing, we reject this and become fantôme. And if vampyres explore the nature of ‘being un-dead,’ then does it not stand that humans should explore the nature of ‘being un-alive?’” James had to admit he had a point.
“You have a point,” he said.


Jesus Christ this good. Funny and insightful twists on the classics.
ReplyDeleteLove the comfy-chic twist on the classic vampire cape. Unexpected and quite becoming. Becoming Fantôme!!! Correcting as the highest form of flirting! I can't wait to find out the plan. Well done!
ReplyDeleteThis was so brilliant! Oh my gosh! I am completely inspired. After I waste about 7,000 words I will get around to working something similar into my own novel.
ReplyDeleteThe part about Gordon flirting with Windigo was hilarious. How unfortunate for Windigo, if true. I can never get on board with Gordon as a love interest of any kind for any person.
"James still looked confused." James is all of us.
Number of inside jokes per line was very impressive. Even better is your use of outfit descriptions as a way of boosting word count.
ReplyDeleteWow, I found myself completely agreeing with Gordon. should I seek medical help?
ReplyDeleteAnd also, YESSSSS I am so on board with the teachers lighting a big ass fire!!
ReplyDelete