Day 17: 29,305 Words, and back to the Celebrity Feuds

 I only wrote about 500 words today, since it was a busy day packing and traveling to the cottage. I hope to get a lot written this week! I am back at the Romance Inn, where things are really heating up. Someone is going to have to take charge soon- my money is on Maeve.

Maeve, who had assumed control of the room, then promptly lost control, approached Gordon with a look of panic on her face.

               “What is happening? What am I supposed to do? I’ve never led a celebrity feud support group before!” she asked, desperation in her voice.

               “Just look at that smug son of a bitch,” Gordon replied. “I bet he’s working on a twenty year anniversary edition of his dissertation!” Gordon scoffed.

               “What kind of a celebrity are you?” Vin Diesel asked, approaching Gordon and Maeve while keeping his eyes on the Rock, who still appeared to be outraged by the tequila-free margarita.

               “I will have you know that in certain academic circles I am quite celebrated! Just ask any postmodern expert on the possibilities inherent in liminal spaces who their greatest influence is, and I will almost certainly be on that very short list!” he responded, piqued. “Unlike that fraud over there,” Gordon continued, pointing in the direction of his nemesis. “What even are experimental poetics? It’s not even a thing,” he concluded, his voice dripping with contempt. Vin Diesel seemed to accept this, not necessarily because it was a convincing position, but more likely because he had only approached Gordon so that he could complain about his bitter feud with the Rock.

               “You know, what it really came down to was that as a producer, I was willing to do whatever it took to get the best performances from my actors. That’s something I’m really proud of, that aesthetic. I could give a lot of tough love! Not Felliniesque or anything,” he said, chuckling, “but still. Apparently some people don’t take criticism of their acting too well,” he said, rolling his eyes and nodding his head in the Rock’s direction while taking another sip from his mug.

               Gordon was taken aback. “That is an obvious lie.” 

Comments

  1. Short but wonderful. Vin agreeing with Gordon just so it could be good chance to complain was deeply relatable.

    Cheering for Maeve to take control of this wild situation, someone sure needs to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was amazing. It led me to question if one joins a celebrity feud support group because they are a self-defined celebrity, or if there is any criteria for being considered enough of a celebrity for the group. I love the idea of pompous academics muscling their way in through this loophole.

    The entire interaction between Vin Diesel and Gordon was amazing. The Diesel quote was used to such great effect. And the fact that he and Gordon formed a temporary alliance here was just so charming. Almost as charming as Gordon immediately identifying Diesel's claim that The Rock just wasn't good enough at acting to be an obvious lie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am inspired by Gordon’s total commitment to honesty over politeness. “That is an obvious lie” is a phrase I have rarely used but if I had Gordon’s courage… it just seems like it could come in handy pretty often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahah, way to go Gordon in calling out Vin Diesel on his bullshit. Was the whole quote a lie? Or just parts of it? Like, is Vin Diesel lying when he says he will do whatever it takes to get a good performance out of an actor? Or when he denies being Feliniesque? I don't know how Maeve is going to get these loose cannons under control, but I definitely believe that only she can do it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day One: 1,739 Words and Things Got Unhinged Pretty Fast

Day 14: 25,528 Words, Becoming Fantôme, and Operation Hamster Wheel

Day 13: 23,603 Words and James Van Der Beek Enters the Fray