Introducing Donnie's River, 3,494 Words
Following the cancellation, James
had spent years in relative obscurity, making comedic guest appearances on fly
by night situational comedies, and a few ill-fated attempts at ‘serious’ acting.
He had even dyed his signature wavy blond locks brown once to show how serious
he was, an act which was irreverently described as ‘kicking around the browns’
in a popular teen magazine. He had watched as his less talented (in his
opinion) and less popular co-stars won prestigious roles and awards. Somehow,
they moved on. Somehow, when they went out in public, they weren’t regularly
referred to by their Donnie’s River characters’ names. Somehow, scenes in which
they had tenderly expressed the pain associated with teen angst had not been
turned into gifs that went viral overnight. It wasn’t fair.
His
low point came when he was accosted by a mother and her teen daughter in a
pharmacy while he was making a purchase. He had plastered his signature grin
onto his face and was prepared for the inevitable selfie ask when the surly
young teen had delivered the blow: ‘Who’s Donnie?’ she had asked with a sneer.
It was just the type of teenage ennui and contempt he had once portrayed with
such mastery. And here it was, being flung in his face with a casualness that
cut him to the bone. He fled the pharmacy in tears, hoping against all hope
that his outburst of emotion would not be captured on a cell phone camera and become
a viral gif overnight. Even worse, there was a part of him that desperately hoped
that would happen, because if there was something worse than being a laughingstock,
it was being… irrelevant. He was 39, still spry for his age, but what did any
of it matter? His life was over.
And then, something
magical began to happen. Slowly, steadily, the tide of opinion, that fickle,
ever-changeable mistress, began to turn in his favour. All of a sudden, Donnie’s
River, which had long been considered something of a joke, began to have a
cult-like following- a revival of sorts. Commentators on popular culture
attributed it to the rising popularity of streaming services, to a new
generation being exposed to the once edgy, now quaint teen drama, and to Gen X-ers
and Millennials returning with nostalgia to a show they had loved before it
became trendy to hate.
One particularly
astute blogger, Abigail Martin, who had earned her stripes as a writer of
Hallmark Christmas films had commented: “although the plots were dull and
uninteresting, the dialogue clunky and unrealistic, the lead character a
borderline narcissist and the ingénue as unlikeable as they come, the show
worked because the emotion was real. The show perfectly captured all the feeling of adolescence…” She had gone on
to deliver a scathing critique of some of the storylines- she seemed
particularly piqued by the death of beloved patriarch and original DILF, Mac O’Toole
(James couldn’t agree more), the lack of diversity on the show (fair), and the
endless slut-shaming of character Jess Larson (maybe she had a point). She had ended the post with a cheeky
#DonniesRiverReboot (back when cheeky hashtags used to be a thing).

Well, I genuinely don't know where to start here. I could copy and paste this whole thing as my favourite part. I especially loved the call back to "kicking around the browns" and Abigail's astute description of the show.
ReplyDeleteThis writing was anything but clunky although still filled with the realist emotion. You just can't help but feel for poor, still spry James.
I loved every part of this, except the obvious sadness of James. I'm happy to hear that at the ripe old age of 39, he was still spry! The part about the gif absolutely killed me. I can totally understand his conflicting feelings about not wanting to be turned into a gif, while also wanting people to want to. Poor James. I love him.
ReplyDeleteAlmost as much as I love cheeky hashtags.
Haha, spry for his age. I don't know why I laugh at every single image you and Katie have posted from Dawson's Creek but I do. It makes your posts even funnier. Sad that he ran out of a pharmacy weeping, but I love this James so much!
ReplyDeleteI really feel for James in this scene! Who among us would want to have teenage ennui and contempt flung in their face? And in a pharmacy, no less???
ReplyDelete