Mid-Day at Jackie's Place, 14,143 Words

 I finished the Day in the Life of Jackie's Place chapter! It probably could have gone on for a while, but I didn't want to get too into the weeds, it really was meant to be a typical day at Jackie's Place, which, as you all know is rarely typical.

Usually, mid-day, some unexpected group of oddballs arrive at Jackie's Place, so I figured why not a group of attractive footballers??

A group of people walk through the door and everyone turns to take in the new arrivals. 5 overwhelmingly attractive men enter the room, blinking as their eyes adjust to the dim light. They wear matching black football shirts that read “Los Jugadores Infernio.” Aside from that, they have the look of a group that has emerged from a random pants generator. One wears a Speedo, another chaps, a third wears military-style parachute pants. The other two are more suitably dressed in jorts and matching soccer shorts, respectively. The men’s outfits would have made them stand out anywhere, but in the grimy interior of Jackie’s Place, they look perfectly in place.

The regulars quickly resume the joyless consumption of their flat beer and stale pretzels, their eyes distant as they dream of better days. The newcomers are hardly newsworthy. It seems every day a group of misfits enter Jackie’s Place. Today, it is outrageously attractive footballers. Yesterday, it was a group of economists attending a nearby economics convention- a fact that they advertised with their matching ‘economists don’t know what they’re doing, EcoCon2021’ t-shirts. These shirts seemed to be a failed attempt at a sexy double entendre- an unsuccessful attempt to emulate much loved classics like ‘chemists do it on the table’ or ‘bureaucrats do it slowly” shirts. The day before that, it was a morose group of New Jersey Devils fans, who had come to drown their sorrows for no reason in particular other than the fact that they were New Jersey Devils fans. Last week a group of suspiciously dressed Jane Austen buffs had arrived, requesting a screening of the 1983 version of Mansfield Park. The group had gone to great lengths to give the appearance of being tourists. They were ridiculously attired in Tilly hats, I heart NY t-shirts, knee high socks, and if that weren’t bad enough, a couple of them had cameras slung around their necks. They were obviously locals in disguise.

Let’s see how the footballers fare, shall we?

“Can you put on the football game?” asks the one in chaps. Jackie’s scowl deepens. These footballers have unknowingly stepped on a nerve. Jackie will regularly pontificate to anyone who will listen (truthfully, everyone is forced to listen) that he refuses to get a subscription to DaZone, the European football streaming service and the holder of exclusive broadcast rights to virtually all soccer games. This point, while well made, is seemingly irrelevant since there isn’t even a television in Jackie’s Place. Never has been, never will be (another favourite line of Jackie’s).

No television, no clocks, no calendars. If this strikes anyone as odd, they keep it to themselves. 

I wish I could include the beer pong game, the beer throwing competition (which ends badly when a woman in a leather jacket smartly paired with a wedding dress is drenched in beer), but you all know how things get at Jackie's Place. Tomorrow we will return to the world of Gordon, James, Josh, and Maeve. Looking forward to a change of pace and hopefully moving the plot forward!

Comments

  1. Love the picture - I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that there exists a real "Jackie's Place." But the one you found online is even more depressing than the one(s) we imagined. True to form, the economists failed. As we've discussed, it is not a real discipline (side bar: is any?). Loved to reunite briefly with all the oddballs from other novels that you mention. Yet another excerpt that I am compelled to read more than once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo of Jackie's Place is utterly macabre. I loved the groups of misfits that show up at Jackie's Place, and I loved that Jackie was really touch about DaZone (WHY???)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. speaking of beer throwing competitions, I spoke to cousin Krystle today! Nice conversation.

      Delete
    2. I love that everything about this comment, Indigo

      Delete
  3. Despite not being able to cram in some Jackie's Place greatest hits, this was a work of art. Jackie refusing to subscribe to DaZone completely unrelated to his TV owning status, so funny! The failed slogan of the economists, delightful! The lack of attention paid to the hot footballers, crushing! What a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was laughing through this entire excerpt. Holy shit. The entire thing about the footballers was just fantastic. I didn't even realize that we need to make fun of economists, until I read this and wondered why I haven't been all along. The Austen buffs wanting to watch the 1983 Mansfield Park just sent me over the edge. I was off the cliff already when I got to the DaZone part, which actually just killed me. I'm crying.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day One: 1,739 Words and Things Got Unhinged Pretty Fast

Day 14: 25,528 Words, Becoming Fantôme, and Operation Hamster Wheel

Day 13: 23,603 Words and James Van Der Beek Enters the Fray