Day 20: 35,022 Words, and are Vin and the Rock ready to make amends??

My story is going nowhere fast, but the celebrities have almost completed their healing. I also keep going back and writing back story. Here is an excerpt from today's instalment of what is happening at the Romance Inn, where Maeve is now leading the celebrity support group.


Maeve raised a hand, and the noise ceased. “Let’s not get too carried away with looking down our noses at Vin Diesel for telling such an obvious, easily disproved lie. For who among us is not guilty of the same crime? Who among us is not lying to themselves this very moment?” The muttering began anew, as each celebrity looked around the room, seeing each other in a new light.

               “Vin. You know the Rock is a better actor than you could ever dream of being. Let go of the lie.” Vin Diesel opened his mouth to protest, and then slumped in his chair, accepting the truth of her words. The Rock, no longer seething with quiet rage, began to look concerned for his fellow actor.

               “And as you let go of the lie…. What you are left with is the truth underneath the lie. Are you ready to tell the truth?” Maeve asked- directing her words at Vin, but really, directing her words at everyone in the room. The room was silent as everyone contemplated her words.

               She turned to the other pair at the centre of the room. She was about to speak and then realized she didn’t know the name of Gordon’s nemesis. He saved her by looking at her directly and speaking.

               “I have been lying to all of you. I am not what I have said I am. I am a failed academic. No one has read by dissertation, no one even bothered to write a review of the ten year retrospective. I needed a reason for why I have not had the success I believed I should. I was desperate for an explanation for my failure that would protect my view of myself. So for a few years, I told everyone that my work was too brilliant for them to understand.”

               “I remember that,” Gordon said, shuddering. “It was pretty gross.”

               “Well, truthfully I never really stopped saying that. But then I took it too far. I pretended to be from a group that has experienced oppression. I pretended that was the reason no one read my work. It was a garbage move.” Gordon’s nemesis hung his head in shame. Gordon began to fiddle with the edge of his cape. He looked around the room, took a deep breath, and spoke.

               “I have an admission to make,” he said. “I did read your dissertation.” He reached into an inner pocket of his cape and pulled out a crisp five dollar bill. “I believe this is yours.” Gordon’s nemesis gasped, then collapsed into tears. The celebrities were all silent, having understood next to nothing of what had just transpired. The Rock broke the silence.

               “I don’t know who these two gentlemen are, but I admire their bravery,” he said, looking Vin Diesel in the eye. “I’m ready to be brave with you. I’m listening.” It was all the encouragement Vin Diesel needed.


Comments

  1. I started laughing right away with this excerpt: "Let’s not get too carried away with looking down our noses at Vin Diesel for telling such an obvious, easily disproved lie" is exactly the reminder that I needed, too. Poor Vin.

    Gordon (and Jackie's) nemesis looks so pathetic here. Telling people that his work is too brilliant for them to understand! I'm guessing that no one ever bought that lie.

    The end practically had me in tears. Gordon admitted that he had read the dissertation! Wow! I especially loved that none of the celebrities knew what had happened. Academics are used to no one understanding what they're doing, so they were probably fine with it.

    The Rock is CRUSHING the support group. I'm so proud of him for leading the way with vulnerability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The end did have me in tears. Every line built perfectly on the one before.

    Maeve is destroying running this support group. I didn't think anyone could heal the rift between Vin and the Rock.

    I couldn't be happier to see that Gordon's nemesis will never be named. It's way funnier that way. Him admitting he's terrible was great but he's got a lot to atone for as a truly gross dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maeve is such a badass. I love what she said about the lies and the truth and I’m glad all the celebrities are letting it sink in. The only thing I’m mad about is that you stopped the excerpt right there, knowing we are all dying to find out what happens with Vin/Rock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahahahahaha. When Gordon pulled out the crisp five dollar bill I almost died. And it was very cathartic to read my unnamed nemesis make his admission. The take down of Vin Diesel is perfect - I'm glad he is almost ready to speak his truth. What I'm loving about this support group in this year's novels is also how wonderful it is about how to have authentic relationships. It is screamingly funny but also full of a great vision for better lives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day One: 1,739 Words and Things Got Unhinged Pretty Fast

Day 14: 25,528 Words, Becoming Fantôme, and Operation Hamster Wheel

Day 13: 23,603 Words and James Van Der Beek Enters the Fray