A Hard Won 6,846 Words: I Will Possess Your Snack and Toodie-Loo
Well I do not love night writing, but I got it done with some inspiration from Death Lab for Treatie and Gordon Toodie's Detective Agency: Toodie-Loo Incorporated.
She decided as the opening bars of Killing
in the Name Of were played by the pan flute that if she were to make any kind
of decision based on music alone, it would definitely not be (Rage
Against) Rage Against. Sadly, the opening of the song turned out to be the best
part. The only thing they seemed to have emulated from the band was their
loudness. How does one play such instruments loud, you ask? Trust me when I say
you don’t want to know the answer. Dylann thought she understood why they had
the word Rage in their name twice, though, because it was certainly descriptive
of her emotional state.
Just as she was about to shut the whole thing
down and call a reschedule, Death Lab, with absolutely no warning, launched
into the sweetest, saddest song she had ever heard. It was a song of love, of
longing, of wanting something just out of reach.
How I wish you could see the
potential
The potential of your snack and me
It's like a bone that’s elegantly bound but
In a package I can't open with my teeth
You gotta spend some time, love
You gotta spend some time with me
And I know that you'll find love
I will possess your snack
There are days when I stand at
the window
And I see people slowly pass
And I long for your return home from work
When we'll be reunited, reunited at last
You gotta spend some time, love
You gotta spend some time with me
And I know that you'll find love
I will possess your snack
As the song drew to a close, Dylann was surprised to find tears
streaming down her face, but as she looked around the room, sparsely populated
though it was, there wasn’t a dry eye in the house. The audition was over, and
everyone knew it. Suddenly she heard the gruff, whispery voice of Jackie
himself. Where had he come from?
“That was just excellent (Rage Against) Rage Against!” he said. brian
j. Pickles puffed up his chest in pride but his happiness was short-lived as
Jackie finished. “But everyone knows I only book lab-themed cover bands, always
have, always will,” he said, his tone indicating that he was not interested in
any tomfoolery. Also, everyone knew that tomfoolery was against the rules.
Dylann found her
head spinning as she tried to make sense of all that had transpired. She was
used to Jackie’s odd behaviour, and she was used to strange goings-on, and she
was also reasonably certain, given his treatment of her since her arrival that
Jackie was much more sensitive than he let on, but she couldn’t help but feel
that the whole audition had been a sham. brian j. Pickles’ band had never stood
a chance, and they could have called themselves Rage Against the Crate and sang
Take the Kibble Back… it would have made no difference. They were outclassed in
every sense of the word, so why give them false hope?
As though reading her mind, Jackie leaned toward her as he walked past, “everybody needs hope, kid, he said, then resumed his usual position at the bar. He reached into the pocket of his filthy apron and pulled out a lime, winked at her, and began to slice it up. Somehow, the wink didn’t appear lecherous in the slightest. Jackie was a man full of surprises.
And a short excerpt introducing Gordon Toodie's Agency... FYI, the title of the chapter is Toodie-Loo Mothafucka.
Josh looked up at the sign of the detective agency with chagrin. “Toodie-Loo
Incorporated” was not a name that inspired a great deal of confidence, and the
blood dripping from the lettering (was that Comic Sans MS)? did little to help
the situation, but his options were few. His literary agency apparently did not
have a budget line for use of private detectives for tracking down lost writers,
and his exaggerated show of incredulity had not had the desired effect.

I'm not sure I fully understand what's going on in that second excerpt but I know whatever it is, I'm already invested. Mediate this, indeed!
ReplyDeleteJackie's ability to wink in a non- creepy way is a true gift although I can't help but feel bad for the non bjP members of (Rage Against) Rage Against.
I'm so thrilled with everything that's happened so far and will eagerly await the next set of clues to this great mystery.
Where to start? Rage Against the Crate? Rage twice describing Dylann's emotional state? An improbably non-lecherous wink? I love it all. But there are two things that absolutely hit it out of the park:
ReplyDelete#1 the lyrics to I Will Possess Your Snack - these two lines were much more wistfully beautiful than I was expecting from the song title: "It's like a bone that’s elegantly bound but
In a package I can't open with my teeth"
#2 the sign for Gordon Toodie's detective agency. It reminds me of an actual sign that used to be up on highway 28 into Bancroft. It said "Welcome to [insert name I have forgotten] County." But because of the font and colouring, I only remember it saying "Welcome to Vampire Country."
Oh I’m going to use that line today!
DeleteThis was SO GOOD, Jill!!! I feel like you are totally getting in the spirit of the lab-themed cover bands, and it's beautiful. Rage Against the Crate truly sounds like a lab's emotional state. And as I said, the lyrics to I Will Possess Your Snack were *chef's kiss*.
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize that the toodaloo mothafucka was the inspiration for Toodie-Loo and I love it. Can't wait to incorporate this into my novel.
Tomfoolery should always be against the rules.